1. Course content
The Via Lingua Teaching Business English (TBE) program is designed for graduates of the Via Lingua CTEFL program (or similar) and provides an introductory and practical exploration of key issues in relation to working with students who are studying Business English. Course participants will be provided with guided reading tasks and activities, which will result in the creation of a personalized toolbox of ideas, guidelines and resources to support their work in the classroom.
The program comprises seven study units.
- What is Business English?
- Teaching approaches with Business English students.
- Using Case Studies in Business English Skills development.
- Syllabus design and selection.
- Conducting a needs analysis.
- Using authentic materials.
- Using published materials.
2. Time commitment
The program requires a commitment of thirty hours. Each of the seven study units will involve four hours of guided study and research. An additional two hours will be allocated to the completion of the assessment submission (a completed Toolbox) and feedback from the assessor.
3. Study approach
Each of the seven study units requires the course participant to:
- Engage in a guided pre-reading activity (Task One).
- Engage in a core reading activity (Task Two).
- Undertake additional personal research (Task Three).
- Undertake a guided activity that supports the creation of a toolbox of ideas, guidelines and resources (Task Four).
4. Practical Study Outcomes
By the end of the program, the participant will have created a personalized toolbox of ideas, guidelines and resources that will support them as they embark on their teaching career.
5. Assessment and Certification
At the end of the program, participants will be required to submit an electronic version of their toolbox (the seven guided activities linked to the seven study units) for review by Via Lingua’s experienced team of professionals.
On successfully completing the program, participants will be awarded a Via Lingua TEFL Extension Certificate (Teaching Business English).