1. Course content
The Via Lingua Test preparation (TP) program is designed for graduates of the Via Lingua CTEFL program (or similar) and practicing TEFL / TESOL teachers. The program provides an introductory and practical exploration of key issues in relation to working with students who are preparing to take tests aimed at measuring their English Language competence, particularly with a focus on college / university access. Course participants will be provided with guided reading tasks and activities, which will result in the creation of a personalized toolbox of ideas, guidelines and resources to support their work in the classroom.
The program comprises seven study units. Study units 2-7 support the review of the full range of programs and tests offered by the organization, before focusing on one or more specific tests aimed at university / college access.
- General strategies for supporting students as they prepare to take international tests that measure their English language competence.
- iTEP - International English Proficiency Test (iTEP Academic)
- IELTS - International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS Academic)
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)
- TOEIC - Test of English for International Communication
- CAE - Cambridge Assessment English (C1 Advanced)
- PTE - Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
2. Time commitment
The program requires a commitment of thirty hours. Each of the seven study units will involve four hours of guided study and research. An additional two hours will be allocated to the completion of the assessment submission (a completed Toolbox) and feedback from the assessor.
3. Study approach
Each of the seven study units requires the course participant to:
- Engage in a guided study and general overview activity (Task One).
- Engage in a focused study activity (Task Two).
- Undertake additional study and practice activities (Task Three).
- Undertake a guided activity that supports the creation of a toolbox of ideas, guidelines and resources (Task Four).
4. Practical Study Outcomes
By the end of the program, the participant will have created a personalized toolbox of ideas, guidelines and resources that will support them as they continue their teaching career.
5. Assessment and Certification
At the end of the program, participants will be required to submit an electronic version of their toolbox (the seven guided activities linked to the seven study units) for review by Via Lingua’s experienced team of professionals.
On successfully completing the program, participants will be awarded a Via Lingua TEFL Extension Certificate (Test Preparation).